Monday, December 24, 2018

Joy! -- Internet Disappearances.

I was trying to bulk-download my soundcloud likes today, when I realized the deeper I went the more sparse my likes were, as if things had been deleted. I've been familiar with this happening to youtube videos but it was a surprise seeing it on soundcloud, where there was more of a focus on original content.

Searching through my saved files, one artist I came across which I had downloaded from soundcloud in approx 2010 was completely missing. Hard to find in the first place, the group(?) went by "Joy!" and was from France. I'm going to collect what little information I have found on them here.

Here's the song I downloaded from them when they were still online. I'd say it epitomizes the type of elecronic which was being explored in 2010: extremely sample heavy, dependent on midrange, obsessed with wubs. My favorite part of this song are the synth solos which sound like a lonely singer. I'd say it's a classic sound honestly.  Have a listen:


These guys are from france. They had a website at www.joyjoyjoy.me . Their youtube channel is still up but their soundcloud URL (soundcloud.com/joy-1) seems to have been taken by a random account, and all of their soundcloud uploads are disappeared as well. They seem to have been a part of a french record label called Boxon Records , which has some more info about them in French

They don't have a very large catalog but I remember being delighted back in the day every time they uploaded a new song I could listen to through my terrible laptop speakers. First artist to keep me visiting soundcloud, a pity they're gone. If I find out what the artists are up to now I will update this post.

Some other songs I reccommend:

Autistic Poetic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUWh6cSoT1Q
New York (Empire State of Mind Remix) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdeaelWTIvI


No comments:

Post a Comment